Saturday, September 25, 2010

Going back.



The other night Aleksi and I were laying on my bed and talking about our childhood.We were both SO blessed to have such a wonderful childhood full of fun/good memories.We talked about Christmas and how it was such a magical time as a kid...even still as an adult, but there is just something about being a child at Christmas time. Nothing beats it. My parents did such a good job at making sure there was magic at Christmas time. It's something I look forward to when I have my own children. I laugh so hard when I remember me as a child around Christmas. Well, any holiday really. EVERY year I would write a note to santa and leave it next to his plate of cookies. Don't think it was a letter telling him how good I was or thanking him for my presents. It was a piece of paper with a list of questions that I insisted on having the answers too.
1. Who is your favorite reindeer?
2. How far away is the north pole?

3. How long does it take you to go to everyones house?

4. Can I have a bell off of one of the reindeers collar?

also made a similar list for the Easter Bunny the night before Easter.

1. How far can you hop?

2.Can I have some clippings of your hair? (what was I planning on doing with that???)

3.Can I have a paw print?
I laugh so hard at these memories because I was such a curious child (still am as an adult), but it also makes tear up at the thought of my parents sitting there playing along, answering my silly questions and looking around the house trying to find some kind of hair clippings to leave me. I love my parents. They are such good parents.
Its so funny the things you do and think as a child. The way our little minds worked. When I was a little girl I couldn't figure out for the life of me how my hair grew and where it came from. The only explanation I could think of was that my little body must be full of hair and the only way for it to come out is by growing out of the top of my head. I was convinced I cracked the case of how hair was coming out of all of our heads.
You're welcome everyone.
Why were we in search a hurry to grow up? I have no idea because I wish I could be a child again--for just a day. I have thought about what it would be like if we all had the opportunity to spend the day with our younger self. Does that make sense? Just you and your 5 year old self for a WHOLE day. I wonder what my 5 year old self would insist on playing and I wonder if my present self would play along--I know I would. I would wear myself out for sure.
Mud Pies would be somewhere on the list. Oh....and capturing cats and probably getting a spoonful of peanut butter and licking it all gone while we ride around the neighborhood on our bikes. We might even get our Recorders and play them as we march on top of our picnic table.
Just an idea.


That sounds like a fun day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

childhood does fly by--you are one of the lucky ones to have had a great one!

Anonymous said...

So there's this husband and wife. The wife's birthday is coming up and she's looking in the mirror "eh"ing and moaning. The husband sits there and watches her. When he asks her what's wrong she says, "I want to be six again."

Well, the husband gets this awesome idea. He gets up early on her birthday and makes her a big bowl of Fruit Loops for her birthday. After breakfast he takes her to Magic Mountain and makes her go on all the rides. They go to McDonald's for lunch. She comes limping out of the park and then he takes her to get some ice cream with all the toppings. They get home and she collapses on the bed, exhausted and completely worn out.

The husband, with a sweet look on his face, bends down to look her in the eyes. "So, how was it being six again?" he asks.

The wife gets an incredulous look on her face. "I MEANT MY DRESS SIZE, YOU IDIOT."

:-) AJ

ma said...

what a sweet entry - I had so much fun right along with you as you grew up. Can I come be with you when you are little again. Love you so much as a little girl and as a grown up girl.