Friday, February 19, 2010

5.04.08

"Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hardwork, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those that believe." - Gail Devers

China in itself was life changing. A growing experience.
HOWEVER...
There was one day.
One day that stood out more then the rest.

May 4, 2008

It was the day I climbed The Great Wall of China.


" ...When I found out I was going to China I would have dreams about being on the great wall. When I was actually there it felt as if I was standing on my dream. I had worked so hard to get there and I finally was. It was such an amazing feeling..one that brought tears to my eyes. I felt as if I could conquer the world. I could have stayed up on that wall forever. It really was the best day of my life. I will never forget my experience there..."
{part of an email I sent home}

There are several sections of The Great Wall. We decided on going to the Simatai portion. Before going I remember researching online about the Simatai section and a certain website said "Simatai is celebrated for its steepness, queerness and intactness..." (They weren't joking) My first thought after reading that was "celebrated? I don't know how much I am going to want to "celebrate" when my calves are on fire and I'm throwing up over the side of the wall." I don't know if ANY pictures can really portray how steep/scary some parts of this wall are, but it was ridiculous. I remember at one point being on all 4's climbing.

There are lots of websites that say different things, but The Great Wall is approximately 4,000 miles long. INSANE. They must have been REALLY scared. I am not a historian. To be honest, I hated history when I was in school, but In my head this is how the conversation went..

chinese leader: "think..what can we do to protect ourselves..?"

over-zealous man: "we could fight!!"

chinese leader: " don't be ridiculous. have you seen us? we are tiny."

*silence...thinking...silence*

same man--not so zealous: " a great big wall?"

chinese leader: "brilliant. go. "

(1400 years later)

enemies: "what the....a WALL?! No one said anything about climbing a wall. Im outtie"

Sorry, China. I don't mean to make light of something so sacred. I love you and your wall.It's nearly 2 years later and my memory of that day is still so vivid.

Even now I CANNOT believe that I was there.
surreal
I am one of the few that can say.." The Great Wall? been there. done that."
If I didn't have the pictures to prove it I don't even know if I would believe it myself.



This picture was taken from the top of the wall, where you zip line. :)

yes. I zip lined off The Great Wall of China.

Ok..so things you should know before watching my video:

  1. I look beat. Don't judge me. I had just finished spending hours climbing the steepest wall EVER.
  2. I am holding my camera myself (I was scared I was going to drop it, you will hear me say that in the video)
    So its all over the place. It gets noisier when I turn the camera toward the direction I am going in because of the wind.
  3. I'm a girl and I scream like one in the video. Sorry.
  4. ** Pay special attention to the end** As I am getting closer to the bottom I start talking to the person down below about how excited I am to be alive. They are yelling at me to stand up as I am insulting her by thinking she is a man.
  5. enjoy :)

Best.Day.Ever.

8 comments:

Wilda said...

Love the photos and the video. Amazing experience you had. One thing I know for sure is that day marked your life. You conquer emotions and feelings and most of all you mature in life. That we can say it was "D Day"! Love you Cort!

Krystyna said...

HAHAHA! Tyler and I LOVED the video at the end. We were laughing SO hard! We actually rewound it and watched it over and over cuz we were dying haha

I've been to the Great Wall, too! I went somewhere completely different, though, because we tobogganed down to the bottom. So fun! Let's go back, k? :)

AJ said...

What a great post! You are so hilarious! You guys had beautiful weather when you went. I miss China so much... Luv!

Cortney said...

krys- DEAL.I am dying to go back. haha..the video is so funny.
AJ- thanks! I miss china too! The weather was good for most of the time we were there, but at one point the wind was SO strong that we were told by the locals to stay in a watchtower until it died down again. We barely made it off the wall before it started to rain.

Anna said...

sooooo stinkin' cool! How fun!! YES... you are ALIVE and you have ARRIVED!! (dreams do come true!!) Those photos ROCK!! WOW!!!I love the silhouette one! I hope you have that framed in your room! What a great accomplishment! Thanks for sharing!! so AWESOME!

Likely said...

HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!

I love that video! My favorite parts were when you would shoot the camera back at your self -- woo hooo!!!! and then the sir, I mean ma'am part --- HA HA HA!!!!

Great pictures. I want to go!

That conversation you made up was SOOOOOO funny too. I laughed out loud at zealous, not so zealous man. you are so funny.

Now you need to go to the Berlin Wall!

Cortney said...

hahaha..the conversation I made up was my favorite part. I was dying laughing while writing it.Is that super cocky of me that I think I am so funny? because I do. " ...look at us..we are tiny." hahaha.

Likely said...

you are super funny.

look at us, we are tiny!

bwah ha ha!!!!